Sunday, August 26, 2007

Another Work That Almost Made It to the Sidebar This Week


The only title I can find for the work on the left is "Art Nude". Yet, as you can see, this is not a classical art nude. It is more like a nude portrait. The focus is on the model -- her face and expression capture us. Her body is not so much defined as suggested.

I think Liviu Burlea's work here shows us what can be accomplished when one combines the technique and style of classical nude photography with portraiture. In this photo, the use of light and shadow -- borrowed from nude photography -- creates for me at least the feeling that I am looking at someone's spirit or soul. Moreover, everything else seems to reinforce that feeling.

For instance, the model's expression is at once open, sincere and vulnerable. She seems to be revealing her inner self to us. Almost surrendering it. Her nudity merely reinforces the effect. You cannot look at the photo, I think, without feeling that you have met a person in her own right. Perhaps you want to reach out to her, hold her, question her, even comfort her. She challenges you to interact with her. Few enough portraits actually do that. This one is masterful.

I would have put it in the sidebar for this week, but Blogger intervened (again!) to prevent that by squashing and distorting the photo. So, I am sharing it with you this way instead.

7 comments:

stevo said...

It is a great photo, Paul. I agree she looks open and vulnerable. I wish the link was larger so I could better exam the photo. I'd like to see her eyes a little larger.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Very interesting . . . to me, the model's expression is closed, slightly suspicious, and faintly challenging. I feel that she is not someone I would ever want to approach.

Paul Sunstone said...

Yes, I too wish the link opened to a larger photo, Stevo.

David, I don't feel that way at all about her, but then, everyone sees something different in art -- which is part of its fascinating, don't you think?

Unknown said...

It's not only what makes art interesting -- it's what makes life interesting. I wish I could remember the link to the site I spent some time on last month... if I find it, I'll come back and cut and paste it for you -- anyway, it's a site for facial research. One of the things they do is test whether you, the viewer can tell between a fake and a real smile, and whether you are able to "read" facial expressions. It was absolutely fascinating. I should have saved it somewhere in my Favorites, but I forgot.

Liviu Burlea said...

Thank you all! It is an honour for me!

Paul Sunstone said...

Welcome to the blog, Burlea! The honour is all ours!