Friday, October 26, 2007

My Brain Took A Break

I've begun to notice that every three months or four months, my brain spontaneously takes a break from blogging. That's what's happened this past week or so -- and it also happened about three or four months ago for a couple of weeks.

I think it's a bit like what happens when you eat too much of your favorite food. You sooner or later get to a place where your favorite food fails to excite your enthusiasm for a while. This past week or two I've been at a loss for ideas of what to write about. Or, more precisely, the ideas I've had have seemed bland and unappetizing to me. I suspect, though, that I'm coming out of it -- otherwise I might not be writing this.

My blog is a long term project. I plan on keeping it up for years. But perhaps I should just accept as natural that I will want a vacation from it every now and then. Otherwise, I might get permanently burnt out -- which would be as life negating as getting permanently burnt out on chocolate.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the picture this week. It feels very solitary and beautiful.

Paul Sunstone said...

Thanks, Ordinary Girl! Isn't Barbara Cole wonderful?

Enreal said...

I know what you mean, I myself have been in a funk. Uninspired I guess. Oh well, we all need a break.

B said...

That happens to me too, obviously. Only my brain churns out far less interesting stuff than yours does Paul, yet requires even longer breaks.

Paul Sunstone said...

LOL! Brendan, you are being way too modest. Your stuff is at least as interesting as anything else on the net. I was very happy this morning to see you blogging again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul. Good to have you back. I had checked your blog but found you were away. Looks like you are back with a bang! :)

Paul Sunstone said...

Thanks, Nita! Of all the things I do, I think blogging at times gives me the most satisfaction. It's good to be back!

Paul Sunstone said...

Enreal, do you ever experience something like this: Your brain takes a break but you feel guilty for it? I think it's the dark side of my work ethic that makes me feel that way. I know I need the break, but I still feel guilt for taking it.